We are pleased to share our February update with you. As always, please don’t hesitate to get in touch with any questions.
A Note of Sympathy
MLS joins librarians across the state and beyond in mourning the passing of Paula Sharaga, Children’s Librarian at the Coolidge Corner Branch, Brookline Public Library. Her dedication and passion will be remembered by the many families and library staff whose lives she touched. Our thoughts are with Paula’s family and colleagues during this difficult time.
We also send our thoughts to the staff at the Peabody Institute Library in Danvers. Assistant Librarian Patrick Clapham passed away on February 5 after battling cancer. He loved the Danvers library and community deeply and requested that friends and family donate to a foundation in his name that will perpetually support the Children’s Room. Patrick’s knowledge, dedication, and humor will be greatly missed.
Thank you to all the support groups, networks, staff and host libraries for your dedication and hard work planning the Legislative Breakfasts. We were pleased to attend many as guest speakers and are appreciative of the support demonstrated for MLS and our services. We look forward to the final breakfast on March 22 at the Jones Library in Amherst, and we hope to see many of you at Library Legislative Day on March 5!
Marlborough Office News
Last month, we let you know that we need to move our Marlborough office. Thanks to those of you who offered your assistance and good wishes as we began our search for our new home for our Marlborough office. We are working with our brokers and hope to have some good news to share soon.
MLS welcomed 2 returning members and 6 new
directors in January:
- Codman Academy Charter Public School, Dorchester
- John F. Kennedy Elementary School, Billerica
- Agawam Public Library – Nancy Siegel
- Elizabeth Taber Library, Marion – Elizabeth Sherry
- Lanesborough Public Library – Sheila Parks
- Middlesex Community College, Bedford and Lowell – Donna Maturi
- Norfolk Public Library – Elisabeth (Libby) O’Neill
- S. White Dickinson Memorial Library, Whately – Cyndi Steiner
MLS Spring CE
Our spring classes are filling up, but there are still spots available. Check out all of our learning opportunities on our calendar!
We are also pleased to announce some other informal networking opportunities we have planned:
- Directors’ Roundtable Lunchtime Discussion: Staff Structure and Other Topics at the Hopkinton Public Library on April 30
- MLS Listening Tour at the MLA Conference on May 21 at the Sheraton Framingham
- Small Library Lunchtime Discussion at the Langley-Adams Public Library in Groveland on May 28.
- Small Library Lunchtime Discussion at the Mattapoisett Free Public Library in Mattapoisett on May 31.
- Directors’ Roundtable Lunchtime Discussion: Staff Structure and Other Topics at the Bushnell-Sage Public Library, Sheffield, MA on June 13
Members can earn Professional Development Points (PDPs) with MLS
We are pleased to share that MLS is a MA Department of Elementary and Secondary Education (DESE) Certified Professional Development Points provider! Our members who are required to earn and track PDPs can now do so by participating in MLS hosted classes, webinars, and events. Please contact us for more information.
FY 2019 Statewide Database Statistics
We now have a handy dashboard for you to access your library’s statewide database statistics for Britannica, Gale and ProQuest. View here! Use the filters on the right side of the page to customize your search.