MLS is happy to announce that we are partnering with School Library Journal for their 2018 Leadership Basecamp and Diversity Workshop at Simmons College, August 6th and 7th. With our MLS code you get 10% off registration. Early bird registration ends July 4th, so now is the time to register! Even though early bird registration ends July 4th, please continue to use the code to get 10% off registration.
Please use this link to register (which includes embedded promo code MLS).
School Library Journal’s Leadership Basecamp is a full-day, intensive professional development program designed to foster the next generation of children and teen librarians who are ready to accelerate their path to leadership, and want to upskill to meet their goals.
School Library Journal’s Diversity Workshop is a one-day workshop on Cultural Literacy and Diversity for Librarians. This immersive, interactive day of learning will focus on evaluation of books and media, collection development practices, readers’ advisory, and book marketing and promotion.
For Leadership Basecamp:
Topics Will Include:
- Crafting Your Professional Identity: Vision and Action
- Young Changemakers in the 21st Century: A Framework for Engaging Kids and Teens in Civic Engagement
- Tech Playground (Make, Play, and Learn)
- Visual Literacy: Hear from a Trio of Illustrators
- Lessons from the Field
- Pop Culture Library Orientations
- Essential Partnerships
- Creating a Culture of Reading
- New Books Spotlight: “Own Voices,” and Authentic Perspectives
- Teaching Students About Stereotypes Through Collection Evaluation
- Volunteers: How To Get Them, How To Keep Them, and How To Get Them Working
For Diversity Day:
Topics Will Include:
- Evaluation of books and media
- Collection development practices
- Readers’ advisory and book marketing and promotion
- Understanding key concepts such as white privilege, implicit bias, and intersectionality
- Recognizing offensive stereotypes, tropes, and microaggressions within media
- Assessing for authenticity and appropriation
- How to perform a diversity audit
- How to craft selection policies and guidelines that set benchmarks for diversity and inclusion