MASSACHUSETTS LIBRARY SYSTEM
JOB DESCRIPTION COLLECTION
NORTHFIELD MOUNT HERMON SCHOOL
Department: NMH Library System Date: November, 2003
Reports to: Director of Library & Academic Resources Revised: February, 2006
Classification: Administrative Faculty - FT
Term of Employment: Academic Year
Summary of position purpose: Assists with leadership and mentoring of the librarians
within the NMH Library System, contributes to day to day management of the
Library and serves as point person in the directors absence as well as
providing instruction, reference, and community outreach. Provides instruction
in research skills, citation methods, ethical use of information resources as
well as providing reference, collection development assistance and participating
in the continuing evolution of the NMH Library System.
1. Responsible for management in the NMH Library System facility, assists with workflow regulation for the system, point person for the library system in the directors absence, participates in the evaluation of library services and personnel, serves as liaison with IT regarding library technology.
2. Works with other instructional librarians and colleagues throughout the NMH Library system to develop and implement a comprehensive program of information literacy skills that equips students, faculty, and other members of the NMH community with the tools to make full use of scholarly resources.
3. Provides instruction to students in classes and one on one.
4. Works with faculty to develop course assignments and related web and print guides.
5. Contributes to the day to day operations of the NMH library system. Oversees circulation functions, policies, and procedures. Facilitates an equitable balance of workflow among colleagues.
6. Participates in collection development. Reviews/evaluates online databases
7. Serves as a DL in the Moody system of advising and contribute to the delivery of the student life curriculum. Provides reference duty: evening and weekend rotation.
8. Attends meetings, including those of the NMH library system.
9. Engages in special projects at the request of the director of academic resources.
-- Master's degree in library science (M.L.S or M.L.I.S.) from an ALA-accredited institution
-- Four - six years prior library experience plus at least two years professional experience with instruction, reference, and circulation
-- Knowledge of online databases, collection development, information literacy, webpage development/html.
-- Effective and creative presentation skills that include development of print and computer-aided instruction materials
-- Strong computer skills that include significant experience with web-based resources, electronic databases, and automated circulation systems
-- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, including a demonstrated ability to work effectively with students, faculty, staff, and community members and flexibly with colleagues throughout the school
-- Ability to work independently and collaboratively, exhibiting flexibility and creativity
-- Commitment to making a positive impact on the lives of adolescents and willingness to embrace the challenges of the boarding school environment
-- Ability to work evenings and occasional weekends