MASSACHUSETTS LIBRARY SYSTEM
JOB DESCRIPTION COLLECTION
NORTHFIELD MOUNT HERMON SCHOOL
Department: NMH Library System Date: March, 2000
Reports to: Director of Library & Academic Resources Revised: February, 2006
Classification: Administrative Faculty - FT
Term of Employment: Academic Year 10 Month
Summary of position purpose: In support of the NMH Archives mission, the archivist preserves, promotes and provides access to material documenting the history of the school and the life of its founder, D.L. Moody. As a member of the NMH Library System team, the archivist also contributes to reference, circulation and instruction duties.
1. Identifies, appraises, collects, arranges, describes, preserves, provides access to, and encourages the use of materials of enduring historical, legal and administrative value to Northfield Mount Hermon School.
2. Functions as a resource to students, faculty and administrators by providing access to primary historical materials that support the instructional programs and administration of the school.
3. Serves the alumni and their association by preserving a record of student life, both individual and collective, at the school; and enriching scholarship about and appreciation for the school and the life of D.L. Moody. Serves as resource to Office of Advancement.
4. Encourage the use of archival collections; and develops, implements and evaluates a plan of archival management and services in consultation with the director of library and academic resources.
5. Contributes to the day to day operations of the NMH library system.
6. Serves as a DL in the Moody system of advising and contribute to the delivery of the student life curriculum. Provides reference duty: evening and weekend rotation.
7. Attends meetings, including those of the NMH Library System.
8. Engages in special projects at the request of the director of library and academic resources.
-- Master's degree in library science from an ALA-accredited institution and a masters degree in history or related field (coursework in archival science, preservation management, and/or certification by the Academy of Certified Archivist a plus)
-- At least three years experience with archival work plus at least one years experience with reference, and circulation (preferably in an automated environment)
-- Strong interpersonal and communication skills, including a demonstrated ability to work effectively with diverse constituents such as administrators, faculty, students, and external researchers
-- Ability to work independently
-- Ability to work evenings
and occasional weekends