MASSACHUSETTS LIBRARY SYSTEM
JOB DESCRIPTION COLLECTION
Town of Mashpee, Massachusetts
Technical Services Librarian Classification:
\h \r 1The purposes of this position are to catalogue and
classify library materials and add them into the Library Database and Catalogue
System, order materials through interlibrary loan, manage the library automated
information systems and otherwise assist patrons and staff with reference
services, collection development and other services as required. This position
may assume responsibilities for the library in absence of Director. The
Technical Services Librarian is responsible for maintaining and improving upon
the efficiency and effectiveness of all areas under his/her direction and
Supervision Scope: Oversees and manages Library computer/technical systems, cataloguing of library materials and interlibrary loan.
Supervision Received: Works under the direction of the Library Director according to professional standards of the American Library Association; The position is subject to review and evaluation according to the Towns personnel policies and procedures.
S/he supervises and monitors the performance of all staff
in the absence of the Library Director.
Administrative and other work is performed in back office conditions and in every room of the Library where operations are conducted. The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet but may be moderately noisy in open locations.
S/he operates standard office equipment, microcomputer and related software applications to perform communications, reporting, and library processing operations.
makes frequent and periodic contact with other libraries, the general public and
the local library network. Communication is frequently in person, by telephone,
fax, e-mail, in writing, standard and special reports; contacts require excellent
customer service skills and a high level of resourcefulness to influence
positively the behavior of others.
SEQ CHAPTER \h \r 1(The essential functions or duties listed below are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position.)
· Manages library databases and on line databases which includes but not limited to: Catalogs and classifies and enters new materials into the automated circulation system. Performs original cataloging. Searches databases for records to use in cataloging. Maintains bibliographic records of library database and maintain library collection on-line.
· Manages interlibrary loan program and prepares monthly and yearly state and local reports.
· Troubleshoots computer and library equipment; runs virus checks; recommends purchase of software and equipment as needed; assists staff and public in the use of computer equipment and programs; writes clear procedures for staff in the use of computer systems.
· Assists with the development, maintenance and review of the library collection; evaluates the collection for balance and comprehensiveness; coordinates and implements the selection, ordering and removal of library materials.
· Oversees Librarys use of technology; works with MIS department and vendors to procure and install software and hardware as well as works with staff in training issues in the use of automated systems.
· Performs reference services; assists patron with requests for information or materials; assists patrons in the selection of materials; searches sources; provides referrals; teaches patrons how to use the library and the technical equipment.
· Assists with special projects for the Library Director.
for staff in the absence of the Library Director.
· Attends professional meetings to maintain and improve knowledge of library technical services
· SEQ CHAPTER
\h \r 1Performs similar or related work as required or as
the situation dictates
Errors and Omissions:
result in delay in services, destruction of technical equipment, monetary loss,
poor public relations and adversely affect the Towns image.
Physical and Mental Effort:
work is primarily of an intellectual nature but requires some physical
capabilities. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is
frequently required to sit, and talk or hear; occasionally required to stand and
walk; requires use hands to finger or handle objects; and reach with hands and
arms. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 10 pounds,
occasionally lift and/or move up to 30 pounds and rarely up to 60 pounds.
Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance
vision and the ability to adjust focus. This position requires the ability to
operate a keyboard and calculator. The employee must be able to hear normal
sounds, distinguish sound as voice patterns and communicate through human speech
using American English.
Minimum Required Qualifications:
SEQ CHAPTER \h \r 1Education Training and Experience:
Applicants for this position must have a bachelors degree with coursework in reference and cataloging; masters degree in library science (MLS) is preferred; two years of experience working general functions in a public library; reference and cataloguing experience; or any equivalent combination of education and experience.
SEQ CHAPTER \h \r 1Special Requirements: None.
Knowledge, Ability and Skill:
Knowledge: Incumbents must have thorough knowledge of the principles and practices of library service functions in a public library; working knowledge of computer networks, software and hardware, and databases used in public library operations.
Ability: Incumbents must have ability to utilize data processing applications as they apply to library functions; ability to deal effectively with Town staff and the public; ability to train, staff and public in the use of library computers; ability to handle multiple projects and details.
verbal and written communication skills; aptitude for working with people;
aptitude for working with computers, paperwork and details. Skill in using the
above mentioned office equipment.
SEQ CHAPTER \h \r 1(This job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and the employee. It is used as a guide for personnel actions and is subject to change by the employer as the needs and requirements of the job change.)