MASSACHUSETTS LIBRARY SYSTEM
JOB DESCRIPTION COLLECTION
Town of Mashpee, Massachusetts
Library Circulation Assistant Classification:
SEQ CHAPTER \h \r 1The purposes of this position are to provide administrative, technical and clerical support to various library services and programs, and to adopt and provide library technical expertise that complements and expands the availability of library services. The Library Circulation Assistant is responsible for maintaining and improving upon the efficiency and effectiveness of all areas under his/her direction and control.
Supervision Scope: S/he assists with processing library materials and assisting patrons to locate materials and with reader advisory services.
Supervision Received: Works under the direction of the Library Director according to library policies and procedures; the position is subject to review and evaluation according to the Towns personnel policies and procedures.
Supervision Given: S/he may supervise library volunteers.
Administrative and other work is performed under typical library conditions. The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet but may be moderately noisy in open locations.
S/he operates standard office equipment, microcomputer and related software applications to access and check out and in library materials, communicate, produce reports, and conduct other library operations.
S/he makes frequent contact with the general public and library staff. Communications are frequently in person, by telephone, occasionally by fax, e-mail, or in writing; contacts require excellent customer service skills.
SEQ CHAPTER \h \r 1(The essential functions or duties listed below are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position.)
· Assists patrons at the circulation desk and throughout the library; checks materials in and out; issues library cards; transfers library cards from other libraries; answers the telephone; provides information about library services and use of the computer catalogue; processes overdue notices; collects and records fines for overdue books.
· Maintain and update confidential patron records.
· Assist patrons with the operation of library computer systems and other library equipment.
· Shelves library materials; maintain reading areas and displays in a neat organized manner; reads shelves to maintain materials in appropriate locations and order; weeds materials as requested.
· Checks in new periodical acquisitions and maintains accurate files of periodicals received.
· Coordinate volunteer schedules to maintain adequate coverage of library; trains volunteers in how to use library systems.
· Calls patron about library materials placed on hold for them.
· Monitors the condition of library materials, including AV formats, for needed repairs or replacement.
· Performs reference services, provides referrals and reader advisory services as needed.
special projects for the Library Director.
· Attends network meetings about circulation software and procedures to maintain and update knowledge on system.
· May assist the Technical Services Librarian.
\h \r 1Performs similar or related work as required or as
the situation dictates.
Errors and Omissions:
result in delay in services, poor public relations that adversely affect the
Physical and Mental Effort:
work is primarily of an intellectual nature but requires some physical
capabilities. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is
frequently required to [stand, and talk or hear; occasionally required to sit or
]walk; requires use hands to finger or handle objects; and reach with hands and
arms. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 10 pounds,
occasionally lift and/or move up to 30 pounds. Specific vision abilities
required by this job include close vision and distance vision. This position
requires the ability to operate a keyboard and calculator. The employee must be
able to hear normal sounds, distinguish sound as voice patterns and communicate
through human speech using American English.
Minimum Required Qualifications:
SEQ CHAPTER \h \r 1Education Training and Experience:
Applicants for this position must have a high school diploma with one-year experience in a library; or any equivalent combination of education and experience.
SEQ CHAPTER \h \r 1Special Requirements: None.
Knowledge, Ability and Skill:
Knowledge: Incumbents must have general knowledge of practices of library service functions in a public library setting; general knowledge of literature and reference materials and an interest in reading; working knowledge of computer used in public library operations.
Ability: Incumbents must have ability to utilize data processing applications as they apply to library functions; ability to deal effectively with the public; ability to maintain a professional demeanor and composure when dealing with difficult patrons; ability to follow instruction and complete projects with minimum supervision.
Skill: Good customer service skills;
good verbal communication skills, basic clerical skills,
basic computer skills; able to multitask in a high paced environment.
SEQ CHAPTER \h \r 1(This job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and the employee. It is used as a guide for personnel actions and is subject to change by the employer as the needs and requirements of the job change.)