MASSACHUSETTS LIBRARY SYSTEM
JOB DESCRIPTION COLLECTION
PART TIME LIBRARY TECHNICIAN
(Young Adult Specialist)
Athol Public Library
position of Part Time Library Technician/Young Adult Specialist involves public
service, circulation, materials processing, library-related clerical and
computer-related duties, in support of the effective operation of the town
LEVEL OF RESPONSIBILITY
under the direct supervision of the Assistant Director. Following training,
performs regular duties independently in accordance with established policies
1. Provides general library service to library users and the general public at the circulation desk, meeting and assisting the public. Charges materials in and out and registers borrowers using the automated library circulation system.
2. Provides answers to reference questions and assists the public in the use of the library.
3. Receives library incoming calls, answering questions or directing calls to
proper staff. Telephones library users for reserved books or overdue materials.
instruction and assistance to library patrons of all ages in the use of the
computer catalog, Internet, and word processing computer resources.
instructions and assistance to the general public with the photocopying
machine and other library equipment and services.
6. Processes new library materials for circulation. (book covers, barcodes, computer records, etc.)
7. Types, files, enters data into computer programs, provides other
technical support to maintain library services.
8. Provides special services such as programs, displays, reserve book collections, and reference materials for adults, young adults, volunteers, and other groups including special programs such as Community Reading Day and the On the Same Page program. Creates publicity for these library events.
9. Maintains, selects, and weeds young adult collection. Develops programs for young adults such as book discussions, summer programs, and other activities.
as liaison to the middle and high schools, coordinating assignments and
summer reading lists with school personnel and presenting book talks ae
requested by teachers.
11. Compiles lists of new acquisitions and forwards to newspapers.
related work as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES
1. Ability to deal with library patrons of all ages tactfully and courteously.
2. Ability to learn some technical aspects of library operations.
3. Ability to establish and maintain effective working
relationships with library
employees, patrons, and the general public.
4. Ability to type and file accurately.
basic computer operations, including the Internet. Knowledge or
willingness to learn about computer reference software and other library-relate
6. Ability to perform physical tasks, including lifting, bending, and standing for long periods of time.
maintain confidentiality of library records.
Graduation from high school and at least 2 years of college required with 2
years of library work experience preferred, or a combination of education and
experience demonstrating the required knowledge, skills, and abilities.
Approved by the Board of Library Trustees 17 May 2006