Join us for the MLS’ annual meeting–Adventures in Outreach. Following our business meeting, presentations on the budget, plan of service, and slate of candidates, we are featuring debut presentations crafted by Project SET participants focused on the theme of outreach. Come discover the inspirational results of this yearlong project designed to cultivate presentation and leadership skills among your Massachusetts library colleagues.
Project SET: Skills, Empowerment, Talent is a learning community guided by members of the Mass. Library Systems Advisory team. Project SET has been established in order to cultivate talent and provide support and encouragement to build participants confidence and strengthen their career paths.
We invite you for a full day of rich programming, breakfast and lunch. There is no charge to attend but you must register in advance.
To save paper, two copies of the packet will be available at each table.
November 2, 2015 at The College of the Holy Cross in Worcester
9:00 Registration & Refreshments
9:30 Business Meeting and Announcements
Welcome – Margot Malachowski, President
MLS Update – Greg Pronevitz, Executive Director
Business Meeting– Margot Malachowski, President, presiding
- Approve Minutes of November 2014 Meeting
- Approve Budget & Plan of Service for fy2017
- Approve Slate of Candidates and Officers
Massachusetts Board of Library Commissioners Update – Dianne Carty, Director
11:00 AM – Project SET Crew–The philosophy behind Project SET* and a few words on the theme of outreach, plus an introduction to our participants.
11:30 AM – Breakouts
Outreach from the inside out
- Presented by Karen Horn and Jazmin Idakaar
- Reality Bytes…. Electronic Collections and the Usage Question…. How much, by Whom, Costs What?
Presented by Kirsten Underwood with guest panelists Ellen Rainville, Clayton Cheever, Elizabeth Thomsen, and Myron Schirer-Suter.
- Not Your Average Information Literacy: Cultivating the Library’s Virtual Space through Twitter
Presented by Erica Street
12:30 PM – Lunch
1:30 PM – Ignite Sessions
- If You Build It, They Will Come: A Makerspace Story, Michelle Gario
- Getting Personal: Developing a Personalized Reading List Service, Lilly Sundell- Thomas
- NOW That’s What I Call Programming: Reaching Generation #Yolo, Liz Reed
- Outreach through mobile library services, Rebecca Folb
- Get Back In There! Inside-the-box Outreach, Katrina Ireland
- No Patron Left Behind, Jonathan Schmidt
2:30 PM – Wrap up
The Future of Project SET and Participant meet and greet.
2:45 PM – Adjournment
* Project SET: Skills, Empowerment, Talent is a learning community guided by members of the Mass. Library Systems Advisory team. Project participants spent the past year engaging in activities and discussions designed to develop their leadership skills as a trainer in the library community.