Links to MLS events, webinars & workshops, and MLS media channels.
Making Change: Transformation and Creativity in Libraries (June 13, 2013),
DCU Center, Worcester.
- Photos from the event on the MLS Flickr account HERE.
- Opening Remarks [MP3 14 min.] – Greg Pronevitz, MLS Executive Director.
- Morning Keynote: Reinvention of Libraries [ slides / MP3 53 min.] – Lee Rainie, Director of Pew Research Center’s Internet & American Life Project.
- Closing Keynote [MP3 audio coming soon] – Ping Fu, co-founder, Geomagic, and author of Bend, Not Break: A Life in Two Worlds.
- Breakout Sessions
- How to Make a Makerspace (handout) – Gui Cavalcanti, Founder, Artisan’s Asylum Inc.
- LABRARY Road Show: Library Machines – Harvard Library Innovation Lab
- Making and Learning in the Library (website & slides) – Bill Derry, Assistant Director, Innovation and User Experience, Westport Public Library.
- Concurrent tabletalks
- Building online collections on a shoestring budget using Flickr (handout) – Molly Stothert-Maurer, Processing Archivist, Perkins Library, Perkins School for the Blind.
- Community Curators: Using the Community to Create Exhibit (handout) – Nancy Cole, Education Director, Martha’s Vineyard Museum.
- The Kids Are Driving the Library; the Librarians Just Steer! (handout) – Donna Johns, Library Teacher, Newton North High School.
2012 MLS Annual Meeting (November 5, 2012), College of the Holy Cross, Worcester.
- Dedicated website, all media & links.
- Keynote Speaker – David Gerzof Richard, Marketing Recalibrated: Your Library at the Core of the Community [53min].
- Slides – Afternoon Panel: Stories from the Field and Closing Speaker, Jennifer Koerber, Living in the Future: Libraries Supporting the Next Wave of Cultural Evolution.
It CAN Happen Here – Library Lessons Learned from the 2011 Tornadoes (June 2012), Monson Free Library.
- Dedicated website, all videos.
- Panel Discussion [47min].
- Katie Krol, Library Director, Monson (MA) Free Library [20min].
- Margaret Morrissey, Director, Jacob Edwards Library, Southbridge MA [20min].
- John Ramsay, Assistant Director, Springfield (MA) City Library [20min].
- Gregor Trinkaus-Randall, Preservation Specialist, Mass. Board of Library Commissioners, Boston MA [17min].
MLS Resource Sharing Unbound (May 15, 2012), College of the Holy Cross, Worcester.
- Dedicated website, all speaker’s media & links.
- James G. Neal, V. P. for Information Services & University Librarian, Columbia University – Sometimes a Scream…Is Better Than a Thesis.
- Jamie LaRue, Director, Douglas County (CO) Libraries – The Path Forward: A Mass Movement.
Common Goals: New Ideas for Connecting Libraries, News, and Communities (April 27, 2012), MLS-Marlborough.
The MLS partnered with the New England News Forum and Journalism That Matters for this one day event. Librarians and journalists gathered for a discussion on forming partnerships and sharing information between the two fields. These sessions hosted by Bill Densmore, co-convenor, Journalism That Matters and director, Media Giraffe Project at UMass Amherst.
MLS media channels
- Vimeo channel – The primary MLS site for online webinars & workshop videos.
- UStream channel - The site for live MLS events as well as a collection of previously streamed video events.
- YouTube channel – In beta, currently our YouTube channel is an avenue to other library and library agency YouTube sites. Some duplicate videos from our Vimeo channel can be found here as well.